Friday, October 14, 2011

Direct Marketing - Continuity/Subscription Scam: Synapse Group, Inc.

We all know I love hockey, marketing, music, & NASCAR. So at times I use a brand we all know to purchase tickets to many events: aka Ticketmaster.

In April of 2010 I made such a purchase. Wouldn't ya know at the end of this transaction here's an offer to get four magazine subscriptions for $2 each. I'm like o.k. buyer-beware; but still I'm curious. Good magazines of which I read: Fortune, Inc., Time, & BusinessWeek. I read over everything... no other obligations and no disclosure about cancelling at any time.

I'm a pretty decent consumer and I purchase the special offer. I trust Ticketmaster and most brands who are large and recognizable that operate online, whom I use. I don't believe they are (for the most part), using sneaky tactics anymore to take my money. I also didn't believe they'd use or allow sneaky companies to operate on their behalf.

Without further adieu here's portions of the letter I wrote to the Better Business Bureau about how Synapse Group, Inc. is currently operating. (Wouldn't ya know it, Synapse Group, Inc has the BBB Reliability Program logo on their site).

Synapse Group, Inc. is a Direct Marketing - Continuity/Subscription. I purchased tickets through Ticketmaster in April of 2010. Synapse Group, Inc. is the company responsible for offering four magazine subscriptions for $2 apiece for one year with no other obligations. The terms in the email I received, never stated that I would be charged once a year for the full price of those magazines in subsequent years.

This all occurred without knowing I signed up to a direct marketing - continuity/subscription. The state of Florida is cracking down on companies such as Synapse Group, Inc. because they tend to take advantage of an older demographic. If I hadn't checked my credit card statements from earlier this year I wouldn't have known they were charging me (and would continue to do so for as long as that credit card was open).

So once a year Synapse Group, Inc. was starting to charge me full price subscriptions on all four magazines I purchased. $12 dollars for all > now became $188; that's a 1566% increase.

The really sad part is they are a wholly owned subsidiary of Time Inc.  

Then the BBB asks for a "desired settlement description." So I gave them mine:

I would like a full refund from Synapse Group, Inc. I would also like the Better Business Bureau to remove Synapse Group, Inc. from this "Reliability Program BBB Online." The Better Business Bureau protecting consumers from businesses that take advantage of people and their information.

Aren't companies past this? Why would you want to take advantage of a customer? If you make me happy I'll be with you for life; probably. Keep my trust. The scariest part of this is knowing this is happening as my parents (baby boomers) are getting older; and that's right folks, living in FL where these scams run rampant.

It's not always perfect marketing for a university, but at least I'm pushing accredited education.

As always I'd love to hear your thoughts/comments.

~bbryon

4 comments:

  1. I too got charged $1.99 from my checking Account that I did not know about . Never heard of this place but they got my card number some how and charged me . would like it to quit taking money that wasn't authorized by me . Stop it ASAP

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is an informative post and it is very useful and knowledgeable. therefore, I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. internet marketing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vancouver SEO Agency offers complete business listings that let you have dofollow links. This is great for your business and drives up your sites rankings. Find out how to rank your site and build new clients with our lead generation packages and courses. Find out how to grow your business with lead generation. If you want more info click here link : do follow business listings

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent article and easy to understand explanation. How do I go about getting permission to post part of the article in my upcoming news letter? Giving proper credit to you the author and link to the site would not be a problem. google ranking

    ReplyDelete